Try This Delicious Quinoa-Stuffed Pepper Recipe
Switching to a whole food plant-based diet, like each person does on our original show The Big Fat Truth, can make a huge difference in your mood, energy, and lifespan. But what, exactly, is for dinner if you're going plant-based? Here's one easy option straight from the show—Quinoa-stuffed peppers. Whipped up by plant-based nutrition consultant Chrissy Roth (the wife of host JD Roth) this whole-food, plant-based recipe is tasty enough to convince the biggest skeptics!
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Roast all the peppers upside-down in the oven until they are soft, and just starting to brown (approximately 25 mins).
- While the peppers roast, prepare the quinoa. Using a ratio of 1 cup quinoa to 1 3/4 cup of vegetable broth, place quinoa and vegetable broth into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to a low simmer and cover, stirring occassionally until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed (about 15 to 20 mins). Fluff with a fork. Turn off and let sit covered and the water will all absorb.
- In another saucepan, broth sauté the finely-chopped zucchini in a dash of vegetable broth until it is soft and fully cooked.
- Finely chop 8 basil leaves.
- Add the zucchini and basil to the quinoa.
- Stuff the zucchini, basil and quinoa mixture into the peppers. Top with a couple of bread crumbs, a sprinkle of nutiritional yeast, and a spoonful (or so) of melted Earth Balance spread if you like. Top with a spoonful of Rao's marinara sauce.
- Put the peppers back in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until all the ingredients are warmed and the peppers are browned a bit on top. You can add more veggies and lentils to the quinoa mix if you wish.